I called into my favourite fabric shop again yesterday, looking for a bit of instant cheer that only beautiful fabric can give.
Came across a few nice pieces, including some lovel sequinned fabric - a coloured mess background with glossy white sequins embroidered all over.
they had it in 3 colourways, all with white sequins, a pale lemon, a salmon pink & a white mesh.
I bought 1m of the salmon pink & 3m of the white, with matching fabric to use as a lining.
I don't normally wear pink, but decided to use it as my test piece.
Here are the fabrics:
But not wanting to be a complete copy cat, decided I'd try out New Look 6981.
Now tell me, is that the worst photo to show off a pattern or what?
The girls hair is disuising the main features of the top! Crazy.
But anyway, back to the top.
The fabric I used to underline the mesh was a rayon lycra mix in a baby pink.
It was a bit lighter in colour than the mesh, but this was the closest I could get.
Still, I think it looks nice together anyway.
I used a 3 thread overlock to finish off the hem & cowl edges.

I pinned the pattern pieces together & treated them as one, & overall this is a pretty easy top to sew.
for the binding trim on the sleeves & neck, as I didn't want any top-stitching, I hand-sewed these to the inside after understitching.
This finished the edges off nicely.

I decided not to turn the bottom hem under, as I preferred a less bulky look.
Being a double layer, it did end up a bit bulky at the shoulder seams as there was a pleat there (broke a few overlocker needles - that's a first!) but otherwise it turned out well...

What do you think?
And if you're wondering, I'm thinking a top or maybe even a dress from the white mesh (I just hope it doesn't look too wedding dress-ey though!).
I've got a one shoulder style I think would look nice, with some satin binding for the armhole & neck edges....
stay tuned for that one.


This is really, really very pretty!! I love the soft pink color and you used my favorite fabric as the underlining too! I'm assuming the sheer sequined mesh has some stretch and drape as well, since you were able to put these two fabrics together so nicely! You're so correct about the model's hair on the pattern photo, that could have hurt the sale of the pattern if it weren't for the good fashion eye of a great seamtress!! Job well done!
ReplyDelete....by the way, with reference to your statement about being a copy cat, Erica B has a quote on her blog from Coco Chanel..."if there is no copying, how are you going to have fashion"!! Copy on my dear!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI really like this. I haven't seen white sequins like this before and although I don't wear a lot of pink either, I would definitely wear this. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about making this cowl. Love the sequins--full of pazazz!!
ReplyDeleteand I agree, the pattern photo is horrible!
ReplyDelete