So thank you very much Myra!
Now apparently their are 2 rules for this award, the first one being to divulge 10 things that you don't know about me.
This theoretically shouldn't be too difficult seeing as none of you actually 'know' me yet!
The other rule for this award is to pass it on to 5 other deserving recipients.
I doubt I'll have any difficulty with that rule either!
So here we go....
- I was born in Bundaberg, Australia, & grew up on my Dad's sugar cane farm, when he not only grew sugar cane, but also watermelons, rockmelons (canteloupe), corn, tomatoes grean beans, & anything else that took his fancy (in market quantities). I didn't wear shoes until I went to high school, & it was quite common to come home from school & find a huge snake or some other nasty there to greet me! Life on a farm was fun!
- I have lived in quite a few places, including overseas. When I grew up & left home I moved to Brisbane for a few years, then to Adelaide, before jetting overseas to live in Stockholm, Sweden (twice), Hamburg (Germany) & Vancouver (Canada). I'm now back in Brisbane, having been here for the last 10 years (gosh how time flies!) & now have itchy feet & am wanting to travel again!
- Whilst living in Sweden I learned to speak Swedish, & and although not what you'd call fluent, I could hold my own in a coversation. Sadly after 10 years I have forgotten alot of it.
- I like to play squash, & up until recently was playing mens (low) A grade, until several injuries forced me to take a break. 12 months & several kilos later I think it might be time for me to get out the gear again & see if I can still run around the court like I used to!
- I have 3 children, 2 of them born in Canada. James (15), has aspergers, so is a bit of a handful. At 6ft2" I'm quite the midget next to him. Kelsey (13) is similarly ginormous, already towering above me at 5ft9" & not showing any sign of slowing down. William (8), my baby, is the cheekiest of the 3, & the only one born in Australia.
- I learned to sew when I was a kid, starting when I was about 6yrs old handsewing stuff & making dolls clothes, progressing to clothes for me & using my Mum's sewing machine when I was 9 or 10 yrs old. Those first few things were pretty dodgy, let me tell you, but I kept persisting! My mum never really had any time to teach me as such, but she did let me use her precious Husqvarna machine & allow me to use up her fabric stash from an early age, & I basically taught myself to sew, occasionally pestering her if I really couldn't figure something out. This love of sewing has grown into the addiction it is today, & its what I spend most of my $$ on time on!
- My Dad had a beautiful singing voice, & used to perform in the local amateur players group & sing in concerts quite regularly. He sang Amazing Grace at my wedding in 1987, & I think he was very proud that I asked him to sing on that day. (I can kinda sing too, but not nearly as well as my Dad could.)
- My Mum & Dad were born on the same day, only 5 years apart. My son James was also born on their birthday, being 10 days past his due date. I named him after my Dad (also called James, but he was known as Jim to everyone) & it was the only time in his life that my Dad was speechless!
- Ikea is my faourite furniture store, & was long before I went to Sweden to live!
- I am a Cancerian, very true to form too. I love my kids, cooking, & sewing of course, & my home is my castle (hate housework though - would love a maid!) I am a fairly quiet & shy person, only coming out of my shell once I get to know you.
Now to the 5 deserving recipients....
- The first would have to go to Peter of Male Pattern Boldness, as he's only been sewing for just over a year now & has been turning out some incredibly amazing things! I am totally impressed with his efforts, & I think if he's this awesome now, what's he going to be like in another year or two?
- The second would have to go to Shannon of Mushywear, as we seem to have similar tastes in what we like to sew. And she lives in Hawaii, which is where I want to visit next!
- The third would be for Eugenia, of Eugenia's (fabulous) world of fashion, who tells us she's fairly new to sewing also, but has been turning out some amazing things! I particularly like her Jalie scarf collar top that she finished a few days agao, the colour is marvellous on her.
- Number 4 would definitely be for Erica of Erica B's - D.I.Y. Style. She is an accomplished seamstress with a love of classic style, & turns out some stunning pieces.
- And last but not least, number five would be for Sherry of Patterns ~ Scissors ~ Cloth, as she has some awsome "tricks of the trade" tips on her blog, and does some beautiful work too (check out A gown for Christine - WOW!)
I really appreciated Myra giving me this award, & am very happy to be passing it on to 5 lovely people who I wouldn't have otherwise 'met' but for the wonderful world of blogging!

Hi Marilyn. Thank you SO much for the nomination - I really appreciate your kind comments. I am glad that I have now discovered your blog - I LOVE your Cynthia Rowley jacket - I have got this pattern but have never managed to get around to making it. Looking forward to seeing what you make next.
ReplyDeleteYou're very welcome Mazzygirl! It's so good to get to know you too! Your comment number 10, says we're really alike. I too am a Cancerian with 3 children (mine are all grown though), I'm very shy and love my children, sewing, home and cooking in that order. I really don't mind housekeeping, but like you, would love a maid too!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your award, you deserve it!
Thanks so much Mazzygirl for the nomination! I am honored that you thought of me!
ReplyDeleteHi Marilyn, I'm so excited to see you have a blog! Thank you so much for thinking of me with this award. If you do make it to HI we will definitely have to get together. I always enjoy seeing what you create. And not just sewing! so I will love seeing the other crafting that you do too. I hope some day to travel like you have. It sounds like you've had quite the experience of living abroad. Not boring at all!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the award Mazzygirl! I've just discovered your blog and look forward to following! I'm so glad you find 'tricks of the trade' useful - I must get around to writing some more!
ReplyDelete