Sunday, June 26, 2011

McCalls 6042 - finished!

Hi again!
well its finally done. Mccalls 6042, view B....

This was a fairly easy jacket to sew, as far as jackets go....
It is fully lined, which is a must for a jacket (in my opinion), especially with this fabric as it frays so much!
The fabric is an oriental brocade with a satin finish (it has a gorgeous lustre), & judging by the softness of it I'd say it has a fair bit of rayon in it.
It was actually fairly easy to sew too, easing in very well & being easy to blind handsew due to the jacquard weave of the design (hides your stitches nicely).
So I would definitely recommend trying this fabric out.

I bought this piece on Ebay, thru an Asian seller who also sells beautiful silks - goodtakecare.
Strange name, but beautiful fabrics!
This was a 3 yard piece, & I've got enough left over for a matching purse or small handbag (ie. about 1/4 yard).
They've got a peacock design brocade which I have been lusting after for some time now, so after the success of this jacket, I might just have to get some!

But anyway, back to the jacket.
This time I made a straight 14 (when I tissue fit there was plenty of bust room, but strange things can happen when your fabric characteristics become involved, so there's always a bit of hope happening when I sew!!) and luckily it fits like a glove...
I'm REALLY happy with it, & it looks lovely with the New Look dress which it was made to co-ordinate with...
I think its likely I will make this jacket again too, as I really like it & think its a flattering style...

Anyway, some photos for you. so you can see for yourselves...


will have to get a better photo of me wearing it, but this gives you an idea...
Am wearing it over the dress.
(this is not an Erica B standard of photography, by a long shot!)


Front

Back

lining, I had run out of turquoise blue lining, so used royal blue instead (as that colour is in the design)

 inside collar detail

I may wear it unbuttoned at times...

 sleeve detail (fold up cuff)

love this collar, such a  nice finish & shape.

8 comments:

  1. So beautiful - I love the wonderful rich looking silk fabric and it's perfect for this style. Your jacket looks very special indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a goregous jacket!!! This is one of my favorite colors too! Looks good on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely stunning. thanks for the ebay tip

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very attractive jacket; I absolutely love the fabric,and it looks great with your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful jacket. You picked the perfect pattern to highlight the gorgeous fabric. It looks great with the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I thought I put a comment on this one ages ago!! I love the jacket it looks fantastic. You must be very pleased. it looks really special.

    ReplyDelete