Monday, December 13, 2010

sewing my first Patrones design - 290/12

HI there.
Yes, its been a few weeks since I've sewn anything worth blogging about.
Not that I haven't been sewing mind you, but have just been making 'boring' stuff!
(well there's also the new BF issue, but that's another subject entitrely!)
BUT today I finally got my act together to have a crack at my first Patrones design.


This one is from issue 290,  a Joven special (is that 'youth' designs??), style number 12.

The top is cute too!

These are a long pair of shorts with an interesting bound pocket design & a split waistband.
It also had an extra button on tab trim on the waist but I decided not to bother with that, as I wanted to make these in a fairly heavy stretch denim.
I also added some jeans pockets from Jalie 2908, with some embroidery from http://www.urbanthreads.com/ (design UT1976) using heavy white matt embroidery thread (which I also used for top-stitching).

Overall they turned out pretty well, & I'm happy with the sizing.
Being stretch denim they're super comfy too.

Design wise in the photo, they looked like they sat a bit low waisted, but on me they were on the waist line.
No biggie, but if I were to make them again I would only use the bottom part of the waist band as its rather wide.
As the denim was so heavy, & because I wanted a bit less bulk in the waist line (my problem area) I decided to use the contrast fabric for the inside waistband, cut on the bias.
It gives it a really nice finish.
The contrast fabric is a printed poplin, which was used to line the pockets, waist band, fly trim etc., & it was what inspired the final choice of embroidery design on the pocket.

Anyway, here are a few photos showing construction of the pocket binding & 2 piece waist band, & of course the obligatory finished shots.










I'm totally hooked on Patrones magazines, what gorgeous styles they have!
And now that I know they fit without too much drama, will be using them more & more.
I think a subscription may be in order - what do you think?

PS. here's what I made for my new BF for Xmas.
Hard to know what to give someone when you've just met them, but he's so lovely I wanted something really special & personal.... so hopefully he'll appreciate this.
Again more machine embroidery from Urban Threads, love their stuff! (UT1291)
The fabric is a lovely soft cotton with a woven check, & was just beautiful to sew.
Coconut buttons to co-ordinate with the coffee brown machine embroidery, I really hope he likes it.


3 comments:

  1. What am amazing pair of shorts, I really love them! I think that yours look nicer than the magazine illustration - yours look more modern and sharp. Your sewing skills have been showcased beautifully - the finishing looks fabulous! Your new BF is sure to love that great looking shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really, really nice shorts!! I love the detail you put on these!! Just gorgegous! I really love the shirt too, I think your new BF will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These shorts are stunning. They fit you so well and the extra embellishments are so professional looking. The shirt you made is also fantastic. I think this gift will be well-received. Amazing sewing!

    ReplyDelete