I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with lots of yummy food & good company?
Boxing Day here in Australia, so I thought I'd make up McCalls 6113 in readiness for the stinking hot days to come (if it ever stops raining that is!!).
This dress caught my eye with the uneven hemline & halter style, how summery does this look? I made the longer length dress.
I used a lovely lightweight cotton lawn (or batiste) that I found at Spotlight a few yrs ago. I love the butterfly print, very summery.
This particular dress looks beachy to me, because of the cotton fabric, so will be great for bbq's & trips to the beach.
I made it to the pattern except for shortening the elastic in the back, however if I made it again I would add some extra depth to the bodice front.
As I am a C cup this didn't cover my boobs as well as I would have liked (probably an extra 1" vertical width so it sat all the way under my boobs would be better, the horizontal width was fine).
& I would probably also extend the elastic to go under the boobs too, for a better fit (on the pattern only the lower back piece is elasticated)
I'm not 100% sure of this dress on me now that its made up.
I mean I like it & all, but I'm more used to wearing waist defining styles, so this feels a bit maternity on me (I have a fat tum so I'm a bit self concious about looking pregnant!).
It actually would make a great maternity dress as there's plenty of room in the front, & with the uneven hemline I don't think you'd have to alter the length at all (which means its wearable after the fact as well).
It will certainly be comfortable to wear in stinking hot weather, & could look fairly glam (or at least I think so) with the right fabric choice.
I think this style would also look fantastic in something like chiffon or georgette, or even a slinky silk charmeuse.
So perhaps if I was to make it again I would use something like that, as the cotton is a bit billowy.
Anyway, here are a few photos.
I should have a glass of wine in hand for this photo, what do you think?
PS. BF absolutely loved his Xmas shirt, & it fitted him perfectly ;-)
(abit of luck seeing as he lives a very long way away & I had to guess what size to make!)









Oooh this dress is SO pretty. The butterfly print fabric is gorgeous and the style is perfect for wafting around in the sunshine - with a glass of wine in hand. Very glamorous!
ReplyDeleteI just LOVE this dress. I'm going to go pick up this pattern when McCalls goes on sale next weekend at JoAnn for 99 cents and make this. It's goegeous. Thanks for the inspiration.
ReplyDeleteThis looks so lovely on you! It will be perfect for hot summer days, love the fabric too!
ReplyDeleteYou look like you're ready for a nice summer party!
ReplyDeleteGreetings from cold, snowy New Jersey, USA!
Yay! on the shirt. I like this dress on you. I don't think it looks like a maternity dress. The style is definitely summery, and that is what I think when I see it. You wear it well and the colors look great on you!
ReplyDeleteWOW, I love this dress Marilyn!!! You're absolutely correct...you need a good glass of wine in your hand!! (and I would join you!) Beautiful, beautiful dress!
ReplyDeleteThis dress looks great on you! I have this pattern but have not yet sewn it, your version is beautiful!
ReplyDelete